A favorite from our European team is this healthy twist on a Portuguese Christmas classic – the Bolo Rainha. Packed with almonds, walnuts and pine nuts for a delicious crunch and shiny sultanas, this cake is sure to take center stage in your Christmas spread this year.
If you’re looking for a Christmas cake alternative that’s alcohol-free and takes a tenth of the time, then the Portuguese Queen Cake is certainly going to leave your guests satisfied this season.
- 500g flour
- 20g instant yeast
- 100ml warm milk
- 100g coconut sugar
- 100g coconut oil
- 3 whole eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- Orange zest
- Handful of almonds
- Handful of walnuts
- Handful of pine nuts
- Handful of sultanas
- Icing sugar
1. First, dissolve the yeast in the warm milk and leave for 10 minutes.
2. Then in a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, eggs, coconut oil and orange zest, then work in the yeast mixture.
3. Knead the mixture well, until you get a consistent dough. Then add the nuts and sultanas, working them into the dough so that they’re spread evenly throughout.
4. Cover the bowl with a tea towel and leave the dough to rise until doubled in size (about 2 hours).
5. After the necessary time is up, shape the dough into a ring, place on a baking tray and brush with egg yolk, then bake for 30 minutes at 180°C.
6. Let rest for 10-15 minutes once out of the oven, dust with icing sugar, then slice and serve!