These tasty vegan Cinco de Mayo recipes will fit in perfectly with your plant-powered party.
1. Loaded Nachos with Vegan Queso
- 1/2 cup unsalted cashew nuts
- 1 cup salsa roja (red salsa)
- 1/2 tsp. ground turmeric
- 2 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- Pinch salt
- 2 whole meal tortillas
- ½ can black beans
- Fresh guacamole
1. Make the vegan queso by first soaking your cashews. Put them into a bowl, cover with boiling water and set aside for 1 hour. Once they’re soaked, drain and combine in a food processor with the salsa roja, ground turmeric, nutritional yeast and salt. Blend until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
2. Cut the tortillas into triangles and place on a tray under the grill for around 3 minutes or until they begin to brown. Turn the nachos and grill for another 3 minutes. Add the black beans and return to the grill for 5 minutes.
3. Place the queso into the microwave to warm for around 30 seconds on high. Pour over the nachos and devour!
2. Best Ever Chunky Guacamole
- 2 ripe avocados
- 2 tomatoes (finely chopped)
- ½ red onion (finely chopped)
- Handful pickled jalapeños (chopped)
- 1 fresh lime, plus extra to garnish (juice)
- Handful of fresh cilantro, plus extra to garnish (chopped)
- Pinch of sea salt and pepper
1. Cut the avocado length ways, then remove the stone and scoop the flesh out. Mash the avocado with a fork and combine with the remaining guacamole ingredients, and serve with extra cilantro and lime juice on top.
3. Fiery Five-Bean Chili
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 white onion (chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (peeled and finely chopped)
- Spices: 2 tsp. hot chili powder, 1 tbsp. ground cumin, 1 tsp. paprika
- Beans: 14 oz. can mixed beans, 14 oz. can kidney beans, 2 tbsp. refried beans (optional)
- 3/4 cups vegetable stock
- 14 oz. can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp. tomato puree
- 1 lime
1. Place a large saucepan on a medium heat and add coconut oil. Once melted, add onions and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and spices then cook for a further 2 minutes while stirring.
2. Add the beans, chopped tomatoes, stock and tomato puree. Bring the mixture to the boil and then cover the pan with a lid and leave to simmer for 10 minutes on a medium to high heat, stirring occasionally. Once cooked, serve with cooked brown rice and a squeeze of lime juice.
4. Spicy Black Bean & Avocado Tacos
- 2 14 oz. cans black beans
- 1 cup salsa roja (red salsa)
- 1 tbsp. ground cumin, 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tbsp. hot chili powder
- 2 avocados
- 1 red onion (finely chopped)
- 14 oz. can sweet corn
- Dairy-free soured cream
- 8 small corn tacos
- Handful cilantro (chopped)
- 1 lime (juice)
1. Simmer the black beans, salsa roja, cumin, salt and chili powder in a saucepan on a medium heat until warm through (around 8 minutes), stirring occasionally.
2. Fill each taco with the warm bean mixture, then top with sweet corn, chopped red onion, avocado slices, dairy-free soured cream and cilantro. Squeeze over lime juice and you’re good to go.
Enjoy these vegan Cinco de Mayo recipes?
TRY THESE NEXT:
Don't miss out on fiesta time this Cinco de Mayo.