This one-pot, high-protein vegan meal prep recipe will become your go-to healthy lunch.
Batch cook your lunches in advance with this flavorsome, vegan-friendly, high-protein lentil dal. Vegan meal prep has never been so easy!
This one-pot spicy lentil dal gets the bulk of its protein from nutrient-dense lentils and chickpeas, which are also loaded with fiber and essential vitamins and minerals such as folate, thiamin, pantothenic acid, vitamin B6, iron, phosphorus, and zinc.
Click to jump straight to the nutritionals.
Makes: 3 meals
Simply double the ingredient quantities to make 3 days’ worth of lunches for two people.
- 1 tsp. Coconut Oil
- 2 white onions (finely chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- Spices: ½ tsp. turmeric, ½ tsp. ground cumin, 1 tbsp. medium curry powder
- 1 cup (dry weight) puy lentils
- 15.5 oz. canned chickpeas (260g drained weight)
- 1 head broccoli (cut into florets)
- Half of 15 oz. can chopped tomatoes
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- ½ lemon (juice)
- 1 cup basmati or long grain rice
1. First, add the coconut oil into a large sauce pan on a medium heat. Once melted, add the onions and fry for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the drained chickpeas and broccoli and brown for 3-4 minutes.
2. While waiting, in a separate bowl, prepare the stock. Dissolve stock cube with 500ml boiling water. Set aside.
3. Add the garlic, turmeric and cumin to the frying pan and fry for a further minute while stirring. Pour the stock into the saucepan along with the chopped tomatoes.
4. Add the lentils and pepper, stir, and turn the heat to low. Cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes. The lentils are best when they still have a little bite to them.
5. While waiting, cook the rice according to the instructions on the pack.
6. Once the one-pot lentils have cooked, stir through the lemon juice and divide amongst meal prep boxes along with the cooked rice.
7. Store covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. When ready to eat, microwave for 3 minutes on high, stir, and microwave for a further 1 minute. Allow to stand for 1 minute, then it’s ready to eat.
Tip: Try garnishing with a little fresh coriander or parsley to boost the flavor of this dish even more.
Enjoy this vegan meal prep recipe?
Give these tasty vegan recipes a try…
Giving up animal products doesn't mean giving up on your mealtimes.
No meat? No problem.