This easy-to-follow recipe from Niall Kirkland is a guaranteed win for weekday dinners.
Talk about comfort food, these amazing chili-stuffed potato cakes are perfect for a meal that will leave you feeling warm and satisfied. Oozing with juicy chili and melted cheese, they’re really something special.
- 800g white potatoes (peeled and boiled)
- 2 tbsp. butter
- Salt & pepper
- Handful parsley (chopped)
- 6 spring onions (chopped)
- 1 tsp. chili flakes
- 60g cornflour
- 80g whole-wheat flour
- 60g low-fat cheddar (grated)
- 250g chilli con carne
- 1 tbsp. MCT oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large saucepan or bowl mash your boiled potatoes, adding the butter along with salt and pepper to season.
- Now, add the parsley, spring onions, chili flakes, cornflour, whole-wheat flour and mix in well.
- Once the mixture is a smooth consistency, build your potato cakes by dividing into 6 equal balls. Before flattening each ball, take a little of the mixture from each one to use for the top of the potato cake.
- Now add your chili con carne to the flattened potato cake base and sprinkle with cheese, before covering the top with bit of potato mixture you kept aside.
- Reshape your cakes into patties if you need to, making sure they are sealed well.
- Then, heat your coconut oil in a large frying pan and add the cakes to the pan. Fry each one for a 5-7 minutes on each side, until golden brown.
- Next, place the cakes on a baking tray and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes. Enjoy!
Tip: Your potato cakes will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days.