Can’t wait for the big day to sink your teeth into some cranberry-smothered turkey?
This delicious festive burger is the ideal warm up act for the main event Christmas day. Using lean turkey mince to make your own patties is a great way to keep on top of exactly what goes into your burger — and you can season to your own individual taste too.
Plus, Niall’s delicious caramelized onion and cranberry sauce relish is really something special.
- 2 tbsp. 100% Coconut Oil
- 500g lean turkey mince
- 1 tbsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. chili flakes
- 1 garlic clove (finely chopped)
- 2 tbsp. chopped parsley
- 1 egg
- 4 cheddar slices
- 4 brioche buns
- 1 tomato (sliced)
- Handful lettuce
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 red onion (thinly sliced)
- 2 tbsp. cranberry sauce
- 400g sweet potato (peeled and cut into chips)
- 250g parsnips (peeled and cut into chips)
- Preheat your oven to 200°C/400°F.
- Transfer your sweet potato and parsnip chips to a baking tray, cover with a tablespoon of coconut oil and season well with salt and pepper.
- Bake your potatoes and parsnips in the oven for approximately 45 minutes, checking occasionally to unstick them.
- Meanwhile, make your burgers. Add the turkey mince, salt and pepper seasoning, paprika, chili flakes, garlic, parsley and an egg to a large mixing bowl and mix the mixture together with your hands (if your mixture is too wet add in some breadcrumbs).
- Form your burger mix into 4 evenly sized patties and set aside.
- Then, heat some coconut oil in a frying pan and add your turkey patties.
- Fry for 5 minutes on one side before flipping and frying for another 5 minutes.
- Add cheddar slices on top of your burger patties, then transfer them to an oven-proof skillet or tray, and grill for 5 minutes to melt the cheese.
- To make your red onion and cranberry relish, heat a teaspoon of olive oil in a pan and add the red onion and cranberry sauce.
- Fry for 5 mins, breaking down any cranberries with your spoon/spatula to release their juices, and then add a splash of water.
- Bring the heat down and leave to simmer away for 10-15 minutes until the onions caramelize and the relish thickens.
- Finally, build your burger! Bun first, then lettuce, then patty, then relish and then a slice of tomato.