Give your chicken & rice meal prep a summer makeover with this traditional Spanish recipe.
Paella is just one of those elite dishes that basically just tastes like a sunny holiday — perfect for brightening up your lunch breaks back in the office, right? If you close your eyes you can pretend to be on a beach for a minute.
Made with spicy chorizo, smoky paprika, sweet tomatoes and zesty lime, it’s a delicious combination of rich flavors that will keep you satisfied all day long. Alternatively, it’s just as good for sharing with friends on a summer evening.
- 100g chorizo
- 500g skinless chicken thighs
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 red pepper (sliced)
- 225g paella rice
- 400ml chicken stock
- 4 tomatoes (chopped)
- 100g peas
- Lemon & lime wedges
- Fresh parsley
1) First add the chorizo pieces to a large non-stick pan and cook for a few minutes until the sides begin to brown & oils are released. Then remove and set aside for later.
2) Add the chicken thighs to the pan and cook in the natural oils from the chorizo. Season with salt & pepper and cook through until browned on each side and no pink remains. Remove from the pan and set aside too.
3) Next, add the chopped onion and fry for a few minutes until softened. Then add the turmeric, paprika, garlic, and red pepper, stirring well to coat everything in the spices.
4) After a couple of minutes, add the paella rice and stir through. Then pour in the chicken stock and chopped tomatoes and mix everything until evenly combined.
5) Add the chorizo pieces back into the pan and stir through, then add the chicken thighs. Cover the pan with a lid and simmer for 15 minutes to allow the rice to cook and soak up the liquid.
5) Finally add the peas, stir through, and allow to warm for a few final minutes before taking off the heat. Serve up with plenty of lime & lemon wedges and a garnish of fresh parsley.