All kinds of people come to the gym with many different goals in mind. Whether it be losing weight, getting stronger, or just being active.
One goal for many is to gain muscle and weight. This may sound simple, but bulking up, when done properly, takes discipline and dedication.
Luckily, we have Myprotein ambassador Cohnan Kotarski to give us his best tips. Cohan explains why drinking your calories may be just the thing you need to help you bulk up.
According to Cohnan, when it comes to bulking and building muscle, the goal is to consume more calories than you burn. This involves eating a lot of protein, which can be challenging to obtain only from food. That's where protein shakes and liquid protein come in.
Drinking your calories makes it easier to consume large amounts of protein, and Cohnan gives us five reasons why.
- Easier Digestion: Cohnan explains that liquid calories and protein shakes are easier and quicker to digest compared to solid foods. This makes it easier to have them more frequently throughout the day and will help you get a lot of protein in without putting so much stress on your digestive system.
- Customization: Making protein shakes at home means you can control what ingredients you put in them. This makes it simple to adjust your protein shake to suit your specific needs and hit your macros. Cohnan suggests adding protein powder, healthy fats (nut butter or avocado), and carbs (fruits or oats) based on what you like and the goals you are trying to achieve.
- Convenience: Cohnan points out that making a protein shake can be significantly easier and more convenient than preparing a whole meal, especially if you lead a busy lifestyle and don't have access to a kitchen. One reason why people fall off course with nutrition plans is having to think about what they should eat and how to prepare it. Protein shakes eliminate this problem and provide a simple solution that will give you the macros you need to stay on track.
- Comfort: When eating food with large amounts of protein, you can become uncomfortable and feel overly full. Protein shakes tend to be easier to get down because they are liquid. This will help you consume enough calories without feeling like you can't stand up.
- Travel: Lastly, Cohnan explains that protein shakes are a great option for taking on the go. If you don't have access to a full meal, or you're running low on time, you could simply whip up a protein shake and head out the door.
Take Home Message
If you're trying to bulk up and don't know where to start, read these tips on why protein shakes and liquid protein can help you reach your goals. You got this.
Want more from Cohnan?
READ THESE NEXT: