Looking for a great ab workout but not sure what to do? Using the TRX straps this workout will absolutely blitz the stomach and also increases overall core strength. Spring break is just around the corner and now is the time to start getting beach-body ready. Develop and show off some killer abs this spring and endure the pain of this grueling TRX workout!
Exercise #1: Side Planks
The obliques are something so many gym-goers want to develop but just can never seem to bring that tie in from the front facing stomach muscles. Look no further than this exercise to develop those side abs. Developing this area will help improve other strength and compound lifts such as the squat and deadlift by being able to stabilize and hold your core tight.
- Set up TRX straps to where when hanging, they are about 1 foot off the ground
- Put feet in these and turn on to your side
- Support yourself on your left forearm first and squeeze and hold the left side of your stomach to keep torso, hips and legs all in line
- Repeat on the right side
Sets and Reps: 4 x 30 seconds on each side
Top Tip: For added difficulty, instead of placing forearm on ground try using a small exercise ball for even more core work- these are tough!
Exercise #2: Straight-Arm Planks
Warning: these are not for the faint of heart! If you want great abs you’ve got to earn them just like any other lift like the squat for legs and bench press for the chest. These will work the top, middle and lower abs so be prepared for a deep burn.
- Set up TRX system hanging from multi-purpose machine or from top of squat rack
- Keeping your toes on the ground, extend arms with hands in the straps as parallel as possible
- When stretched as far as possible, squeeze and hold for assigned time
Sets and Reps: 4 x 30-45 seconds
Top Tip: If you want a modification to this movement, try using a barbell instead of the TRX straps to build up your strength for a couple weeks.
Exercise #3: Pull-ins/Pull-ins with Twist
A good way to work the entire midsection through the main abdominal wall as well as the obliques is with a pull-in movement and also factoring in a twist. Keep you core tight and your butt/hips down to avoid using any other muscle like the lower back and hip flexors.
- Set up the TRX straps hanging from multi-purpose machine that will hold your weight
- Place each foot in each strap and start in a plank position with hands on the ground
- Bracing your core, pull in both legs straight has far up your torso as possible
- Alternate this motion with swinging legs to the left and right
Sets and Reps: 4 x 10 each way
Exercise #4: Rollouts
This one may sound a little extreme but you will be well on your way to an amazing midsection if you can complete a couple rounds of these bad boys. This will take your average ab wheel rollouts to the extreme next level since you’ll have to be stabilizing your core with legs in the TRX straps as well as hands on the ab roller.
- Start this movement by putting feet in TRX straps and placing knees on the floor
- Grab your ab wheel and then prop yourself up in the air with midsection and hips up off the ground
- Slowly lower yourself as close to parallel to the ground as possible then using just your tight core, brace yourself and pull back up to the peak of the movement
Sets and Reps: 4 x AMRAP
Exercise #5: Mountain Climbers
With your stomach already screaming and burning deep from all the intense core movements, the mountain climbers are a great way to completely finish off the stomach. Keep the form tight but don’t be afraid to speed up the movement at the end to really exhaust the core.
- Set up TRX straps with each foot in each strap
- Move each leg up to torso like when performing the pull-ins but use only one leg at a time
- Alternate legs and be sure to breath out all your air at the peak of each movement
Sets and Reps: 4 x AMRAP
Following this workout will get you well on your way to building a great set of six-pack abs. Just make sure to keep your diet the most important factor in your fitness journey as well as completing sufficient amounts of cardio and you’ll be ready for spring with your new set of abs!