If you’re wanting to build core strength (and a killer six pack) Mike Thurston is definitely the man to go to for advice. Even though this workout is pretty much using just bodyweight (aside from one exercise requiring a dumbbell) it is guaranteed to get your core burning.
The routine is compiled of five exercises, of varying reps, and Mike challenges you to complete 2-3 rounds.
Here’s the workout…
Decline Crunch – 12 reps
1. Sit on the decline bench with your legs between the padded bars
2. Lower yourself back and cross your arms across your chest
3. Bring your torso up towards your thighs
4. Pause at the top before lowering for the next rep
Alternatively, Mike used a bench without a padded bar – for this variation hold your hand underneath the bench by your sides as Mike demonstrates to secure your balance.
Leg Raise – 10 reps each leg
1. Lay flat on the floor and cross your right leg over the left, bending at the knee
2. Place your hands underneath your glutes for support
3. Raise your legs up and down, slow and controlled as Mika demonstrates
4. Repeat on the other leg
Side Crunch – 12 reps each side
1. Begin laying flat on your back with your knees bent and feet flat on the floor
2. Turn your legs towards the right so that one leg is stacked on top of the other
3. Put your right arm behind your head, and use your other arm for balance
4. Pull your knees towards your chest and push your right elbow towards your knee
5. Repeat on the other side
Knee Raise – 8 reps
1. Using the parallel bars on the dip/raise machine, rest your palms on the bars
2. Allow your legs to dangle and use your arms to hold your body up
3. Pull your knees towards your chest and lower them, slowly and controlled
Russian Twist – 10 reps
1. Begin sitting on the floor with your knees bent at a 45-degree angle and your torso upright but leaning back
2. Hold your dumbbell over your abdomen
3. Move the weight from left to right as if you are going to put it down next to you
Repeat that circuit 2-3 times depending on how ambitious you’re feeling, and as Mike says “call it a day and lie down”.
Take Home Message
We’re impressed if you made it through this workout. Mike has definitely proven that you don’t have to do anything fancy to get a good core burn. Keep it simple but maintain a good intensity.