Super easy to make, high in protein and low in carbs and fat, these tender Turkey Twizzlers make the perfect healthy snack for when those cravings set in.
These guys will bring back the ultimate childhood memories. Banned in schools back in 2005 for containing too many shady ingredients and too much fat – this recipe only uses 5 simple ingredients. There’s even a healthy tomato ketchup recipe for dipping!
Ingredients For Turkey Twizzlers
For the twizzlers:
- 4 turkey sausages
- 3 tbsp. plain or wholemeal flour
- 2 egg whites (beaten)
- 50g wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 2 tsp. coconut oil (melted)
For the ketchup:
- 150g tomato puree
- 3 tbsp. Sugar-Free Maple Syrup
- 1.5 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. oregano
- Pinch sea salt and black pepper
1. First, preheat your oven to 350°F.
2. Next, bring a pan of water to the boil and add the turkey sausages. Boil the sausages for at least 10 minutes or until they are no longer pink in the center.
3. Once boiled, place a long wooden skewer through the length of each sausage, then carefully cut a spiral into each.
4. Pull the sausage spiral down the skewer a little from each side, so that it now resembles your favorite childhood treat.
5. Now prepare a small bowl of flour, then another with beaten egg whites, and a third bowl with your breadcrumbs. Coat each sausage with flour, then egg whites, then breadcrumbs.
6. Place the coated sausages onto a baking tray and drizzle with the melted coconut oil. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
7. Whilst waiting for the Twizzlers to bake, make your healthy ketchup by combining all ketchup ingredients in a bowl.
8. Once baked, dip your Twizzlers and enjoy your childhood memories the healthy way!
Want to see more healthy recipes? Check ’em out here!