Brimming with nutrients, these cacao energy bars are absolutely perfect for breakfast or after a tough workout. And the bonus? They couldn’t be easier to make! Simply blend the ingredients together and set – easy!
Cacao vs. Cocoa Powder
They both look the same, but what’s the difference? Cacao powder is made by fermenting raw cacao beans in order to reduce their bitterness, which are then broken down into “nibs”. The nibs are then ground into a paste, then the fat is extracted and then ground down into a highly nutritious powder. Our Organic Cacao Powder is produced by organic growers in Peru. It’s high in fibre and is a source of potassium, phosphorus, magnesium, iron, copper, and manganese.
Cocoa powder is a little different. Instead of fermenting the beans like in cacao powder, the cacao beans are roasted during processing, reducing their overall nutrient value.
So, when you’re making your bars, choose cacao powder!
Makes: 6-8 bars
Ingredients for Cacao Energy Bars
- 1 cup soft pitted dates
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 2 tsp. Cacao Powder
- 2 tsp. Nut Butter
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil (melted)
- Pinch sea salt
- 1 cup whole cashew nuts (chopped)
1. Place dates, rolled oats, cacao powder, melted coconut oil, salt and half the cashew nuts into a blender and process until you have a sticky dough. If the dough isn’t malleable enough, add a drop of water to soften it up, then process again (do not add too much water, otherwise it won’t set).
2. Pour the mixture into a bowl and mix the remaining cashew nuts in by hand (so the bars have a little crunch to them).
3. Line a baking tray with plastic wrap and press the dough into the tray. Freeze for 30 minutes, then cut into bars. Simple!
Store in the fridge in an airtight container.
Check out more healthy recipes here!