This spiced apple mug cake is a real winter warmer.
Like it or not, winter is definitely still upon us — but at least that means we can take full advantage of classic seasonal flavor combos like sweet apple with cinnamon and nutmeg. Yep, this recipe won’t only hit the spot in terms of taste and spongey texture, it’ll make your kitchen smell incredible too.
Made with sweet vanilla oats, it’s a great source of fiber and protein too. When the evenings are this dark and miserable, we recommend enjoying this deliciously fruity mug cake from the comfort of your sofa — here’s how to make it.
- 2 tbsp. milk
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 scoop oats (Vanilla)
- ¼ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. mixed spice
- 1 small apple (peeled & diced)
- Add the milk, maple syrup, instant oats, baking powder and mixed spice to a microwave-safe mug and mix well with a fork.
- Once the mixture is fully combined, add the diced apple chunks and mix them through.
- Microwave for 90 seconds at 800 watts. Timing may vary according to your microwave, so we recommend keeping an eye on the mug cake throughout — it should rise, but if it starts to bubble over the rim of the mug then stop the microwave and let it stand for a few seconds. The edges will start to pull away from the side of the mug.
- Remove from the microwave and let cool for at least two or three minutes before eating. Dust with a sprinkle of cinnamon, and if you’re feeling indulgent serve with a dollop of cream or yogurt.